Powered by Blogger.

My Unexpected Tour of the Maternity Ward, Part II

Check out Part I here.

After being violently ill with a horrible stomach bug for over twelve hours and being admitted to the hospital for a day, I thought I was on my way to recovery. I'd been given massive amounts of fluids to re-hydrate me after my bout with norovirus, but my journey to wellness was nowhere in sight.

All of those fluids caused my electrolytes to get out of whack, which meant that early, early on Friday morning, my blood pressure bottomed out around 80/30. I don't remember much about that part of my hospital stay, other than I have never felt so cold, and that I was shaking so badly that I couldn't hold onto anything. 

Friday morning is mostly lost to me, which is probably a good thing based on what my husband and family have told me. The doctors and nurses were worried about Britton, but she was a champ throughout the entire process, and never showed any issues with her heart rate or fetal movement.

In an effort to get my blood pressure back up, and my electrolytes stable, I was started on magnesium and potassium drips. Those things HURT so badly going into my IV--I felt as if my entire arm was on fire. The nurses had to cut the drip dosage way down because I was in so much pain. The infusions lasted hours and hours, but I didn't care as long as my arm wasn't burning. 

Then, Saturday night, I began to get super uncomfortable--not because I was tired of being in bed, or because of the IV, but because I felt like I couldn't breathe as easily and I was having trouble moving around. My mom kept saying that I looked as if I were already full term suddenly. We figured it was because I'd lost weight throughout the entire ordeal and that my stomach looked larger as a result. Sleeping that last night in the hospital was horrid because I couldn't get comfortable and I felt so big. 

I was so happy to go home Saturday afternoon after over fifty hours in the hospital. The first thing I did when I went home was to weigh since all of the staff told me not to be alarmed if I'd lost weight. 

In reality, I had gained ten pounds since I'd last weighed on Monday. All of those electrolytes had built up in my system and caused my blood pressure to stabilize, but they hadn't gone away like they were supposed to. And the worse thing was that I continued to retain fluids that Saturday night. I cried and cried because I couldn't get comfortable no matter what I did, and all I wanted to do at that point was go to sleep in my own bed. That wasn't happening because I could hardly breathe when I laid down, so I dozed on and off sitting straight up in our papasan chair. 

It also scared me because I could barely feel Britton under all of that weight, and I didn't want something to happen to either of us this late in the game, especially considering everything else we'd been though. 

As of this morning, all of the weight is gone, and I'm definitely on the mend. I saw the doctor yesterday, and she reconfirmed that Britton and I are progressing well after our ordeal. I'm cleared for work again on Friday, and I'm excited to rejoin the land of the living as I get my strength back.

Here's to hoping that all of you stay healthy!