Powered by Blogger.

Disaster!: Or, This Couldn't Come at a Worse Time

I've been quiet the last week or so.

There are two reasons for this:
1) I've had a lot going on. We're going through a new members' class at church, we had our first baby shower last weekend, and I'm trying to get through everything necessary right here at the end of the school year.

2) Our house in basically uninhabitable.

Let me explain.

Almost two weeks ago, I was home with an atrocious cold. I slept the majority of the day because I felt so bad, but woke up around 4:30 when my sister brought me a milkshake as a pick-me-up. She and I chatted as I finished my shake until 4:50. To her, nothing looked out of the ordinary.

I went back to sleep after she left at 4:50 until Landon arrived home around 5:30 or so. He came bursting into our bedroom, asking me where all the water came from. In my cold-induced state, I had no clue what he was talking about until I realized I could hear water squishing in the carpet every time he took a step.


Marooned in the bed because of the water, I watched as Landon took our shop-vac and got up as much of the standing water as possible. Neither of us had any idea at this point how the carpet had gotten completely soaked all the way from the top of the stairs into our room and halfway down the hall to the nursery.

For the next hour or so, we did our best to clean up the water with towels and then attempted to dry everything with our big portable fan.

Downstairs, below the water, the sheetrock had started to sag in a few places, so Landon stabbed the ceiling to release the water. After that, the ceiling looked better, so we went to bed, hoping that our efforts to dry everything out would be successful. We also made plans to call in a water removal service the next morning to get whatever moisture remained.

When we went to sleep, the house looked normal, albeit a little damp.

When we came downstairs the next morning, the den looked like this:

At some point in the night, the sheetrock had weakened and an entire 12x8 piece had succumbed to gravity. Luckily, we'd moved the desk out from under that part of the ceiling because we were afraid of a water leakage in the night, but we didn't move it far enough and the sheetrock smushed my hard drive with all of my backed-up pictures, our two bookcases and the dog's cage.
Luckily, I think I can get the pictures off of the hard drive, and the books on the shelves are okay. Phoebe, though tramatized, is okay as well.
Our house, however, is not. Apparently, the damage was caused by a surge of water in our washing machine; a valve that should have stopped it broke in the process, which allowed the water to leak out everywhere unchecked. The washing machine wasn't in use when any of this happened, so we may have to replace our (probably faulty) washer, too.
Because of the damage, all of the carpet upstairs and the hardwoods downstairs are going to be removed. To accomplish this, the furniture is pushed all over the place, and our house is basically uninhabitable right now. Thankfully, my mom and dad have welcomed us back over to their house, which is so much more convenient than living in a hotel for weeks at a time.
The insurance company is taking FOREVER to process our claim, which means that almost two weeks into this mess, we still don't have the go-ahead to hire the contractor. We'll be with my parents at least until the end of April, and that's if the insurance claim goes through today, and the contractors can come out tomorrow, and they work super fast this week and next. More likely, we're looking at two to three weeks before the mess is undone.
As long as I can bring my baby home from the hospital to her own nursery (that we ALMOST had finished before this!!), I will be a happy camper. Now, to see what the next few weeks hold...